7 interesting facts you probably didn’t know about dental implants:
- Dental implants date back to 600 A.D. A skulls of a Mayan woman was found to have the first dental implants.
- 1951, the American Academy of Implant Dentistry was founded. The AAID became the first professional association in the world dedicated to implant dentistry.
- Roughly 69% of Americans age 35 to 44 have at least one missing tooth.
- A dental implant replaces the root of the missing tooth root and provides a strong and sturdy foundation for one or more replacement teeth or crowns.
- Teeth that are restored with dental implants do not get cavities. As the base inserted into the gums are made of titanium, they won’t be prone to plaque, bacteria and disease.
- Dental implants are the only dental restoration option for missing teeth that preserves and stimulates natural bone. With implants, the bone both grows and becomes resistant to decay.
Dental implants have many benefits.
- They are extremely durable
- They look and feel like natural teeth
- They are safe and comfortable
- They are not removable
- They are cleaned just like your other teeth
- They improve your smile by matching your other teeth
- They preserve the alignment of teeth and the structure of the jaw and face
- They protect against the destruction of the jaw and the possible dropping of the face
- They can be used as support for other dental procedures, such as all-on-four dentures and bridges